Everyone should enjoy a little sweetness without worrying about cavities. Thankfully, you can give your kids a piece of candy that will protect their teeth. And this candy is made from natural and simple ingredients, too.
Oral-Enhancing Properties In Your Homemade Candy
One of the ingredients in this recipe you should pay attention to is the raw honey. Honey is full of anti-bacterial properties that should help keep your kids mouth safe from cavities. Honey, for one, contains enzymes that inhibit the reproductive process of bacteria. Honey is also highly osmotic, and this is important because it means the honey will dehydrate the bacteria in your children's mouth. This dehydration will eventually kill the cavity-causing bacteria in your kids mouth.
The recipe also uses a generous amount of licorice root. Licorice root has been found to be highly anti-bacterial as well. Experts have noted that licorice root can protect you and your kids from cavities and gum disease because it contains licoricidin and licorisoflavan A. Both of these ingredients inhibit the growth of oral pathogens while killing them as well.
The last ingredient you need to pay special attention to is blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap molasses contains several minerals that should help remineralize your children's teeth. But even more important is these minerals give blackstrap molasses a high pH value. This should help rebalance the pH value in your young's mouth. The oral microbes responsible for many dental ailments require an environment with a low pH value to survive and reproduce. Blackstrap molasses will help make your children's mouth uninhabitable to cavity-causing bacteria.
Allowing your child to eat these ingredients should dramatically decrease his or her chance of getting cavities.
Oral-Enhancing Licorice Root Candy
- 1 cup of blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon of powdered or crushed licorice root
- 1 teaspoon of powdered anise root
- 1 cup of fresh strawberry juice
- 1 cup of sprouted flour
- Raw honey
- Heat the molasses over medium heat. Mix the licorice and anise powder. Blend well, then remove from heat in 5 minutes.
- Add the strawberry juice and flour. Wait a few moments so that you can safely handle the mixture, and blend well.
- Make small cubes or whatever shape you want these candies to be.
- Pour honey in a bowl, and dip these cubes.
- Let the cubes sit in your refrigerator until they harden, then enjoy.
As you can see, your children do not have to be deprived of sweet treats with this tooth-friendly candy. If you have any other questions or need treatment talk to professionals at places like Village Family Dental.